Jayc's New 3ft tank

jayc

Too easy, just there's plenty of DIY videos on FaceTube, they are pretty simple. Also, AOA has a very effective one that's pretty cheap & just connects to your canister or hang on filter. :D

I love the LEDs for the background, should have got the ones you can change colour so you can change to orange & have it look like an amazing sunset! :thumbsu:

Too easy, just there's plenty of DIY videos on FaceTube, they are pretty simple. Also, AOA has a very effective one that's pretty cheap & just connects to your canister or hang on filter. :D

I love the LEDs for the background, should have got the ones you can change colour so you can change to orange & have it look like an amazing sunset! :thumbsu:

thanks mate, i'll check the tube for dyi skimmers.

And I did get the multicolour LEDs. That last photo is a purple colour, while the earlier ones were white. You can also see the colour changer controller on the table  :thumbsu:

i'll show another colour, when i post a DYI of the background.

thanks mate, i'll check the tube for dyi skimmers.

And I did get the multicolour LEDs. That last photo is a purple colour, while the earlier ones were white. You can also see the colour changer controller on the table  :thumbsu:

i'll show another colour, when i post a DYI of the background.

Hahaha, so it is, I was so distracted by the stunning scape & I wasn't looking at the table, lol. :lol:

Creating your own DIY background.

It's a combination of LED lights, and painted cardboard.

Start with cardboard sheets, I purchased it from art supply shops or they can also be found in most $2 shops in the art supply section.

You can choose white cardboard, but I chose sky blue, to simulate the sky.

The cardboard, is trimmed to the sized of the tank. Join several pieces together if needed.

It's then as simple as painting, or rather blotting white paint onto the blue cardboard.

I used white watercolour blotted onto the cardboard for the cloud effect. I find watercolour gave the best cloud like effects.

You'll notice it's not perfect, and it doesn't have to be perfect. That's the beauty of it.

IMG_7444Medium_zpsd3671f76.jpg

The next is the lighting.

It's just a simple LED strip of light placed at the back of the tank.

IMG_7438Medium_zps080f6ada.jpg

It's your preference in the type of LEDs you get, and how many strips you use. I used 5050 LEDs, and double strips for that extra brightness.

IMG_7439Medium_zps1321bb97.jpg

Now, it's just a matter of placing your cardboard at the back of the tank like so...

IMG_7446Medium_zpsdb8682ce.jpg

Notice, the LED lights are in between the board and tank.

IMG_7447Medium_zpse69d85f7.jpg

Here's what it looks like with different coloured effects.

Please excuse my DIY surface skimmer in these next shots. Yes, it ruins the look, but be assured, it's only temporary while the tank is cycling.

After a bush fire...

IMG_7450Medium_zps7b704727.jpg

Tropical waters ...

IMG_7448Medium_zps0e4e6ce7.jpg

A simple white sheet of cardboard is also very effective.

Here is an example of a plain white background with the LED lights, on a small section of the tank. I need to show you a better pic of the full tank with a white background and lights.

IMG_7451_zps43a232fc.jpg

If you find the cardboard too thin and does not sit up straight, you can always glue it to a thick piece of board.

Hope you enjoyed it.

Told you it was simple. But then again the simple things are always the best.

Edited by jayc
  • Like 2

• HOF Member

Awesome JayC love the effect. Your tank looks great well done!

That is very simple and VERY affective man it looks mint :)

Edited by Ronskitz

*looks whoops my bad haha but i cant edit my post something to do with my parameters are incorrect?

Most awesome shrimp tank ever, I can't wait to try the led background.

Are the led from eBay?

Cheers mick

Yes these LEDs are from Ebay. Your choice really.

I got myself a 5m roll, and some LED strip joiners (4pin male) and just connect them up where ever I need it.

I believe Aldi were selling LED lights as well for $49, last week. You might be lucky and still find them for sale.

• 3 weeks later...

Just discovered the most amazing thing ever.

I transferred over a tile of peacock moss from my planted fish tank into this new tank.

With the idea of previewing what it would look like with plants and to help with the cycling.

That was 1 week ago.

Just 15 minutes ago, I discovered 1 baby fish in the new tank!!!   :animated_fish_swimming:

It's a Killiefish - fundulopanchax gardneri n'sukka, from my main fishtank.

Must have come across on the moss as an egg, and just hatched recently.

What a survivor. 

It gets to stay for a while until it's big enough to be move. It's earned it.

Guess the tank is cycled. 

Edited by jayc
  • Like 1

Wow dude, tough little bugger, definitely earned the luxury of the big tank to itself for a while, lol. :thumbsu:

I love seeing threads like this. I am now feeling inspired. :jig:

But the husband will probably say no to another tank in the house :thumbsd:

(he wisely doesn't look at all the tanks in the room under the garage. )

Haha, I know what you mean. It's taken me many years of convincing and persistent pestering to get the okay for this tank.

I was wrong!

Found another two killie fry!!

So that's at least 3 that I can see.  :animated_fish_swimming:  :animated_fish_swimming:  :animated_fish_swimming:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Looks awesome.

Do you have any new pics?

No significant changes yet. 

I'm trying to find a central piece that will be the focal point of the tank.

But of course, that's a difficult task, what with the limited time I have. 

That and I discovered another 2 killie fish fry in the tank !!!

That makes at least 4 now, that have some how hitched a ride on some plants from my existing planted fish tank.

And I have dozens of choc cherry shrimplets in the tank.

All severely limiting what I can do with scaping.

Edited by jayc

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

@buck@opqfrt, @Disciple

Well, the update is that I am tearing down the tank for an update and re-scape.

I'm going to go down the Keep It Shrimply Simple (K.I.S.S.) route this time around.

I'm in the process of catching all the shrimp out, and will drain the tank this weekend to give it a good cleaning.

Substrate is going to be replaced with Cal Labs Black Earth premium.

I have also decided to build myself a new modern tank cabinet.

Edited by jayc
  • Like 3

Thanks for the update @jayc

Good luck with the new scape and modern cabinet.