Prl

tumblr_nh9fudpZQj1qjnrnyo1_500.jpg

Prime example of crs being called prl

Yep I saw that & just had to laugh, as I've said before, if it's not a top quality shrimp it's not a PRL, it's a cull! :D

Let's start using the K system like the rest of the world, simple. But even in other countries they call the lower quality coloured shrimp culls. :D

Sorry I couldn't get a better quality image. :thumbsu:

I've got a A3 Caridina cantonensis classification poster being done for me atm. I'll show it when I get a draft I'm happy with for additional input.

In Europe, the grading is Low, Medium and High. In Japan, they use S, SS and SSS. However, none of them are based on pattern. Instead, they are based on the colour intensity and coverage, body shape (the Japanese are critical on the berried shrimp shape too) and posture. In some countries, they will look at the size too. In summary, the grading is kind of based on criteria used in competition. 

When comes to pattern, it is more for personal preference. Be it banded, saber-tooth, hinomaru or mosura, they all cost the same price. In Japan, more people prefer banded and saber-tooth than the rest. This is because these pattern will exhibit the best red colour in contrast of white.

Those so called "PRL" from whichever lineage that most seller claims are either they self-breed or they just buy from those cross-breed offspring from those mass-market shrimp farm. Never buy PRL that people claims about the line or cull from which ever tank. Lineage means these shrimp originate from a good shrimp, but they have been crossed breed and produce low quality shrimp after generations. Hence, the shrimp you are buying is just normal shrimp that may looks a little like PRL. If certain PRL tank is able to cull out very low quality shrimp, then those are not good PRL. Hence, don't believe when people claims that these shrimps are cull from PRL tank.

Edited by Shrimpy Daddy
  • Like 1

I also have to laugh at everything being labeled as "pinto gene" basically just means it's been crossed with a tiger, lmao. :lol:

On this point, I have sold using the term 'pinto gene' in an effort to differentiate from pure TB line as siblings have come through with brilliant pinto characteristics. The father was sold to me as pure TB, from a now untrustworthy seller IMHO, so I cannot say what it's parental lines were. Can't say it was direct result from tiger cross or few generations, so can't attribute F(number). What else would everyone suggest we call these?

Edited by newbreed

On this point, I have sold using the term 'pinto gene' in an effort to differentiate from pure TB line as siblings have come through with brilliant pinto characteristics. The father was sold to me as pure TB, from a now untrustworthy seller IMHO, so I cannot say what it's parental lines were. Can't say it was direct result from tiger cross or few generations, so can't attribute F(number). What else would everyone suggest we call these?

Not pure! Simple. :thumbsu:

• Like 1

In Europe, the grading is Low, Medium and High. In Japan, they use S, SS and SSS. However, none of them are based on pattern. Instead, they are based on the colour intensity and coverage, body shape (the Japanese are critical on the berried shrimp shape too) and posture. In some countries, they will look at the size too. In summary, the grading is kind of based on criteria used in competition.

When comes to pattern, it is more for personal preference.

This is what ive been trying to explain that the k system doesnt really work for PRL it is just for normal crystals Edited by CNgo2006

Well if offspring/siblings that came from it are pinto then definitely pinto gene...as that is what they carry

Great post, no doubt there's differing opinions,.... I personally use 1 main criteria's to determine PRL's v CRS's. Besides colour/depth, what's the MOST critical for me is those coloured legs....they have to be coloured legs to be classed as PRL's. Patterns do not determine the grades for PRL's.

I think using the term "Pinto Gene" on TB' shows that there's "tiger genetics".... Would hate to have purchased a "TB" for my selective TB program, and having pinto type patterns coming through.

Like purchasing Shrimps on F generations, TB's or SSS...etc, the trust is given to the breeder/seller.

• Like 2

CNgo2006, your honesty and direct opinions are truely a great value......:-), would hate to meet you in a boxing ring.....LOL

• Like 1

I think using the term "Pinto Gene" on TB' shows that there's "tiger genetics".... Would hate to have purchased a "TB" for my selective TB program, and having pinto type patterns coming through.

It's easy to use TBM if the TB has been crossed to Mischling, and Pure TB if the strain is just that. Using (pinto gene) is to say not pure but also notify buyer of potential outcomes. I explain all I can about what may be a product of crosses they have in mind. I use it to try and be a responsible seller, allowing buyer to know what may be outcomes of its breeding.

I was both gutted and elated to have pinto type offspring show up, it was only when another member had the same we could isolate the source. This is why I had to sell a couple of tanks of shrimp to be able to isolate any offspring with pinto gene/tiger genetics and also keep my pure lines safe.

Similar to PRL in that if we don't have a set labelling, terminology, criteria then it is going to get mighty confusing for all going forward.

Great post, no doubt there's differing opinions,.... I personally use 1 main criteria's to determine PRL's v CRS's. Besides colour/depth, what's the MOST critical for me is those coloured legs....they have to be coloured legs to be classed as PRL's. Patterns do not determine the grades for PRL's.

Like purchasing Shrimps on F generations, TB's or SSS...etc, the trust is given to the breeder/seller.

Completely agreed.

I see to many ppl label their crs PRL (low grade, when the look nothing more then a crs).

But when you speak out about it, all of a sudden it become a popularity contest.

I also been abuse over this. Lol

Here is once again my PRL.

⭕️⭕️⭕️⭕️⭕️⭕️⭕️⭕️⭕️

LMFAO

Doesn't it feel like the marketing for PRL was widely successful? Look at how just the mere mention of PRL in the title can often sway people's opinions.  Alot of folks have their own opinions on what qualifies a PRL/JRB/CRS, and that is a great thing. I've seen so many people label their shrimps as a PRL to make a sales, and guess what? IT WORKS!  Because it works, it will continue to happen until we get a bit wiser. I think this is the root of many problems.

Calling shrimps PRL is so easy now that EVERYONE has PRL.  I think it's harder for find regular CRS now then it is to find PRL. :lolu:  The problem is rooted in those few up the chain who first did this trickery. Those that buy their shrimps from such folks will continue to call their shrimps PRL (because they bought it as PRL) and so the chain continues.  Then there's names and brands that often gets associated with PRL... Benibachi, Crimson, Ebi-Ten, Ellen Wang, MK, etc... Often folks don't even know the true lineage of their bloodline, yet they continue to call them such bloodline. 

Hell, I was in HK a year ago and I asked for Nishiki PRL and the store owner pointed to a tank which were clearly NOT Nishiki. I even asked for a certificate and he said he could just PRINT one out for me! Bahah!

This is why I have to agree with ShrimpyDaddy and say that... instead of buying shrimps based on the brand or bloodline someone says, instead buy a shrimp based on the way it looks.  Bloodline and lineages means nothing.  There's really no way to trace such things and majority of the time those selling you a name brand shrimp are lying to you for a quick buck.  

If you have the opportunity to visit the breeder and/or know the source your shrimp is coming from is reputable, then buy it. Never take anything at face value because that's how you'll always pay more and get less.

• Like 4

CNgo2006, your honesty and direct opinions are truely a great value......:-), would hate to meet you in a boxing ring.....LOL

Lol BB, when i mean pinto gene obviously one of parents must be pinto, i mean putting F1 TiBee and saying pinto gene is bit ridiculous. Of course this is my opinion only.

Btw BB where you been?

It's easy to use TBM if the TB has been crossed to Mischling, and Pure TB if the strain is just that. Using (pinto gene) is to say not pure but also notify buyer of potential outcomes. I explain all I can about what may be a product of crosses they have in mind. I use it to try and be a responsible seller, allowing buyer to know what may be outcomes of its breeding.

I was both gutted and elated to have pinto type offspring show up, it was only when another member had the same we could isolate the source. This is why I had to sell a couple of tanks of shrimp to be able to isolate any offspring with pinto gene/tiger genetics and also keep my pure lines safe.

Similar to PRL in that if we don't have a set labelling, terminology, criteria then it is going to get mighty confusing for all going forward.

This is the kind of thing I have been talking about, you are using it to inform buyers of the impure genes, whereas others would do this to boost the price of their culls. :thumbsu:

Wow

Also have to say check out the blog. So jelly now. lol

Having taken a bit of time to work through this thread I can see its generated a fair amount of interest. The whole CRS vs PRL thing also comes down to a level of trust. I've brought PRLs myself from somebody whom I trust completely and when he says mid-grade PRLs I'm okay with that. Its exactly the same as we've seen with others, people selling TBMs as TBs, it shouldn't happen but we have a lot of people trying to make money in a short time. The only good thing I'd say is most tend to fail and then move on to other species. For anybody selling you PRLs they should be able to tell you the line or at least whom they brought them from, my own group I've labelled as PRL - BSOZ, so pretty obvious where mine come from.

I've only a small group of PRLs but I've got to say the white intensity is just gorgeous, but the colour is full for both the red and white, thats what I like the most. I'm also pleased to say I've a girl who is berried at the moment so I'm looking forward to seeing what comes through and the low grades or the ones that aren't up to scratch will move into my CRS tank. Anything that can help to improve their quality can't be a bad thing but there is a lot of culling to be done for PRLs to keep the standards up. We've seen so many other lines drop of as people head purely for numbers as opposed to quality, such a shame but all I'd suggest is look towards Yellow and Sunkists Cherry Shrimps, a lot of these are very pale these days with selective breeding programs being thrown out and the focus purely on numbers.

There are a lot of people claiming PRL but from my investigations I'd suggest we have 3 maybe 4 lines of PRLs in Australia, and maybe 2 lines of PBLs. If you're buying and spending good money ask the hard questions, if you can't trust the buyer then run like hell and let the rest of us know as well.

• Like 4